09 November 2012

God's Polity


The other day, I posted a link to Sara's thoughts about election night.  Here are some more ideas that I respect regarding our election outcome. I guess what they have in common is that each one exemplifies a genuinely Christian way of thinking about power and politics.  

I can't add much to these thoughts, except for a few basic points that I'm sure you've heard before:

  • No matter who is in charge, God wants me to:
    • Submit to them (Rom. 13:1-5)
    • Respect them (Ibid.)
    • Pray for them (I Tim. 2: 1-4)
    • Pay my taxes (Rom. 13:6-7, Mk. 12:13-17)
    • Obey human law, as long as it isn't in direct conflict with God's (Rom. 13:1-5, Acts 5:27-29)
    • Live quietly, work hard, and mind my own business (I Thes. 4:10-12)
  • God's kingdom is not of this world (Jn. 6:14-15, 18:36)
  • For believers in Christ, He is the only ruler we need (Php. 2:5-11, Rev. 19:16)
I vote not because I think legislation will change the sinful hearts of Americans, but because doing so is part of giving Caesar the things that are Caesar's. As Sara said the other day, "our salvation does not reside on Capitol Hill." Praise God for that! Can you imagine entrusting all your hope to the inefficient bureaucratic morass that is the United States Federal Government?

Our hope and our citizenship reside in the person of Christ, who is enthroned at the right hand of God. Because of this, we put aside the dark deeds of the flesh and follow the light that emanates from our great leader. We do not (and cannot!) legislate righteousness; it comes only from utter dependence on Christ. (See Col. 3 for more on this.)

One more quote before I stop rambling. This one is from Brave Saint Saturn (one of my favorite bands of all time): 
Real change doesn’t come from a mandate
Real love you cannot legislate
Amen, amen, and pass the IRS Form 1040.

No comments: