24 October 2010

Vacation Blessings: Day 10

The Trip


Our college friends returned to Richmond last night, so our numbers were slightly diminished as we went to church this morning. The people there are very nice, and the teaching was pretty good too. I prefer the music back at our home church, but the songs were OK -- I just didn't know them too well.

After church, we had lunch at the Hard Times Cafe. It was yummy, but I probably ate too much, because all I wanted after that was to go home and take a nap.

In the evening, while our friends were at church, we went exploring in Burke, trying to find citric acid to make dishwasher detergent, as well as some other things. We ended up being disgusted at the Burke Wal-Mart's selection and pleasantly surprised with the Target that we went to as a last resort. They didn't have any citric acid, but they did have a fondue pot that we could use to make our special fried cheese cubes. We were quite pleased, and so were our friends when they came home and had the delightful cheese cubes for their bedtime snacks.

The Blessings


More Time With Wifey. One of the things I am realizing on this trip is that I simply don't get enough time with my wife. She is a lot of fun, and I love hanging out with her, but all too often, other things get in the way. I need to really be better at making dates with her a priority.

Chili. Is there a more perfect, more completely balanced food on earth than a well-made chili? I submit that there is not. And the Terlingua Red at Hard Times Cafe certainly counts as well-made.

Giving. Our friends had mentioned earlier that they wanted a fondue pot, so it was really enjoyable to be able to give them one -- and to give them something tasty along with it! There was a time when I sort of rolled my eyes any time I heard someone intone, "It is more blessed to give than to receive," but the more chances I have to give, the more I find myself loving it!

No comments: