25 October 2010

Vacation Blessings: Day 11

The Trip


In the morning, we went to the church to clean up. It went really quickly with my wife and me helping -- I was glad we'd decided to come.

Lots of games today. I find myself being really glad that our friends like games so much, because they give us all something to do together. I'm sure we haven't worn out our welcome here, and probably wouldn't for some time, but games make it a lot easier to spend a great deal of time together without feeling awkward or in the way.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing, reading, and writing -- some of my favorite things.

The Blessings


Serving. One of the things I enjoy most is being useful. Back home, I am often too occupied to do a lot of physical serving in the church. So when I have the time and opportunity to do something like sweep and mop a fellowship hall, I genuinely appreciate it. It's great to see the work being done, and to know I am doing it for my Lord, and to know that others appreciate it as well.

In John 13, when Jesus washes his disciples' feet, it is tempting to think of it as Him laying a burden on them. In reality, though, I wonder if He isn't giving them another type of blessing.

Reading and Writing. These are things that get pushed to the back burner because they are important but not urgent. Meanwhile, other things that are less important but much more urgent vie for my attention when I'm not at work, engaged in church ministries, or otherwise occupied.

Vacation has been a great chance to get some things written and read. Of the things I read, the best was unquestionably Marilynne Robinson's Gilead, which you need to read right this minute. Seriously, why are you still reading this? Please, for your own sake, go read Gilead right now. I mean it.

No comments: