24 April 2006

It's a Trap!

Note from the LuapHacim, 11/14/2012: The views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect my current beliefs and convictions. Even if they do, I would almost certainly express them in different words today. Time changes people, and I am not exempt. Nonetheless, because of its historical value, I will not modify or remove this post. It tells you (and me) something important about where I've been. Read on at your own peril.

So the U.S. is seeking the death penalty for French al Qaeda member Zacarias Moussaoui. Am I the only one who sees something terribly wrong with this logic? The guy clearly wants the death penalty; he has done everything possible to ensure that he gets it. Why? I think his purpose is twofold:
1.) He wants to piss people off at America. Granted, this is an easy thing to do, since we are the world's richest nation and its biggest bully all rolled into one, but apparently Moussaoui wants more anger with us anyway. OK, fine.
2.) He missed the last train to paradise, and this is the only other one in the forseeable future. Think about it: if you'd had a chance to strike against the Great Satan while simultaneously getting a one-way ticket into The Garden, wouldn't you be upset if you'd missed it? Wouldn't you want one last chance? This is the argument of Moussaoui's attorneys, one of whom says, "He wants you to sentence him to death. He came to America to die in jihad and you are his last chance. He clearly sees that as his last way to martyrdom."
The rebuttal, from a prosecutor, is easy: "Let me be blunt, ladies and gentlemen. There is no place on this good Earth for Zacarias Moussaoui."

I think both attorneys have interesting points, but the greater punishment is clearly making the man live. I say we do it.


2 comments:

Izzy said...

He'll get the death penalty, but it might very well be overturned. After all, its clear that he either a)is baiting us (as I think he is) or b)is a complete idiot to self-incriminate, or both. That's going to make a heckuva argument that he's not fit for the death penalty in a number of ways.

LQ said...

Indeed. Exactly.